- Thou shalt build a good list - It's all in the list. That's a common saying in marketing. If you don't have a good list that's comprised of your target audience, you're never going to see results from your direct mail marketing. You should always be trying to grow your list naturally. You need to make sure your list contains true prospects and customers, and you should segment your list to send more targeted mailings.
- Thou shalt know thy audience intimately - You must know who your target audience is. Make a list of as many characteristics as you can about your ideal customer. How old are they? Where do they live? How much money do they make? What's important to them when making a purchase? What are their likes/dislikes? The more you know, the more effective your direct mail will be.
- Thou shalt not make it all about thyself - Good marketing isn't about you, it's about your customer. You have to make sure you're speaking to your customers' needs. You have to make sure they understand how they will benefit and how their lives will improve by choosing to do business with you.
- Thou shalt track results - If you're not tracking the results of your direct mail campaign, you may as well be throwing your money away. You have to know exactly how your campaign is performing so you can constantly tweak it and improve its performance to boost your ROI.
- Thou shalt not use marketing jargon - Resist the temptation to use industry terminology and marketing speak in your direct mail pieces. Instead, speak to your customer in a clear way that they can understand. Write like you talk. It's that simple.
- Thou shalt request action - What good is a direct mail piece if it doesn't generate a response? Every piece of mail you send out should encourage some sort of response from the recipient. Whether that response is to use a coupon, place an order, or call you for a free consultation is up to you. Just make sure you're asking them to do something
- Thou shalt personalize when possible - Whenever possible, personalize your mailouts. You can do this by adding the customer's name in the copy or even creating a personalized URL for the recipient to visit online.
- Thou shalt keep the list up to date - Make sure your mailing list is well maintained. If a customer moves or asks to get off your list, update your list so that you're not wasting money sending mail to the wrong place.
- Thou shalt integrate - Direct mail marketing is most effective when it fits with your entire marketing strategy. You can integrate your direct mail with social media, web, and email marketing efforts to get better results.
- Thou shalt send high quality marketing materials - If your marketing materials look cheap and unprofessional, no one will want to do business with you. That's why you should just a professional company to design and print your direct mail for you. Search online for reputable direct mail companies.
10 Commandments for Successful Direct Mail Marketing
Want to be better at direct mail marketing? Just follow these 10 commandments.
direct mail thou shalt direct mail marketing mail marketing successful direct mail successful d Business Finance